Dragon's Furrows in Istria
The term "Dragon's Furrows" refers to the so-called Earth meridians or energy lines. The places through which these lines pass bring positive energy, and particularly strong energy is found at the intersections of these so-called "Dragon's Furrows." People feel good, relaxed, and positive in these places, with improved concentration, creativity, and greater tolerance.
Our ancestors were very aware of these lines, as can be seen by the fact that many well-known sanctuaries were built precisely on the Dragon's Furrows. Istria has been known since ancient times as a region crisscrossed by the Dragon's Furrows, and Motovun is one of the places where these furrows intersect. In Motovun, three Dragon's Furrows intersect, making it the most powerful energy site in Istria.
The Savudrija Lighthouse
The Savudrija Lighthouse is the oldest active lighthouse on the Adriatic Sea, and it is also the northernmost Croatian lighthouse located on the northwestern cape of the Istrian Peninsula. It stands on the westernmost point of Croatia and is 36 meters high. The project was designed by architect Pietro Nobile upon the request of the Trieste Chamber of Commerce (formerly known as Deputazione di Borsa) and under the patronage of Austrian Emperor Franz I. Construction began in March 1817, and by December 1818, the lighthouse was already operational. It was illuminated by gas derived from coal distillation, making it the first lighthouse in the world to use such fuel. The Savudrija Lighthouse continues to impress visitors with its beauty.
Dvigrad is a historical site located in Croatia. Its first mention dates back to 879 AD when it came under the rule of the Aquileia Patriarchate. However, its origins can be traced back to prehistoric times as part of a fortified settlement within the Roman province. The name "Dvigrad" itself indicates that there were originally two cities in this area. The present-day ruins are the remains of the northern city called Moncastella, while the other city, Castel Parentino, was abandoned in the 10th century.
Dvigrad was later taken over by the Gorizia Counts, but it was soon destroyed by the Genoese during their conflict with the new owners, Venice. Many lives and cities were lost in this war, which largely took place in Istria. Castel Parentino was likely abandoned during this time, and only Moncastello was rebuilt. After more than a century of peace, the second half of the 16th century was marked by constant conflict between Venice and Austria. The city was also plagued by epidemics of the plague and later malaria, leading to the abandonment of Dvigrad by its inhabitants in 1630. They relocated to Kanfanar, leaving only the poorest families behind in Dvigrad. Records indicate that in 1650, the bishop in Dvigrad blessed only three families, and twenty years later, the Church of St. Sophia was also abandoned, signifying that the city was left to decay over time.
The area of the present course of the Mirna River is mentioned in many ancient stories and legends. In one of these mythological tales, it is said that Greek seafarers, the Argonauts, around 1200 BC in Colchis on the Black Sea coast of Asia Minor, stole the Golden Fleece and traveled through the river Ister (today's Danube) to the Sava River, reaching the Alpine foothills in Slovenia. They descended through underground waters to the Mirna River and established their fortresses and settlements on its slopes. Hence the name Istria. Here we are dealing with a distorted ancient Greek perception of space that was later surrounded by misconceptions. Many writers followed the similarities between the names Mirna (Ister) and the Danube estuary called "Istros," named after the former settlement. Of course, we don't necessarily have to believe in legends and stories, but it is a fact that hilltop fortresses appeared above the Mirna River during the Bronze Age.
Motovun is a popular tourist destination that is now renowned as a center of hedonism attracting people from all over the world. One legend tells the story of mythical figures Jason and the Argonauts sailing beneath Motovun, while another places the first inhabitants of this area around 3500 BC. It is up to you to find your own Motovun story in this region.
An old legend speaks of giants who once lived in the valley of the river Mirna. They were so enormous that they passed tools and large stones from hand to hand while looking at the towns on the hills above the Mirna. One of the cities built by these legendary giants in the Mirna Valley was Motovun. Much later, when ordinary people settled in Istria, the giants started to disappear. However, in the legends and stories of Vladimir Nazor, the giant of Motovun, Veli Jože, remained remembered. He was so big and strong that he could shake the bell tower of the Motovun church with his bare hands.
Motovun has been the most important inhabited place in the wider area since prehistory, and according to recent research by "New Age" scientists, this town owes its crucial position to its location at the intersection of Earth's energy meridians, known as the "Dragon's Lines." These meridians spread positive life energy throughout the landscape, and at the point where such lines intersect, as is the case in Motovun, a strong source of positive energy is created, a "breathing hole" of the planet Earth. Such an energetic charge has a relaxing and calming effect on humans, increases their concentration and spirituality, provides rest and rejuvenation, promotes meditation, fosters creativity and tolerance. Perhaps that is the reason behind the numerous gatherings and creative interactions of people from all over the world in Motovun.
Kaštel Morosini-Grimani is one of the best-preserved castles on the peninsula and the largest building in Svetvincenat, which has been a symbol of the town and a destination for centuries. Over the centuries, the castle has gradually developed and expanded, and it all began with the de Castro Pola family when a domus (house) of the same family actually functioned on the site of the castle's palace in the mid-13th century. The de Castro Pola family were feudal lords of Svetvincenat and its surroundings from the 13th century until 1467 when the possession passed into the hands of the Morosini family.
The most dominant element of the Svetvincenat settlement also carried multifaceted symbolism. Its origin is attributed to the merging of the tradition of ladanje (agricultural cooperative), agricultural economy, and defensive function. Built on the edge of the so-called "Žlinje" area, on a slightly elevated location, the castle was situated in a place susceptible to attacks. Soon, a defensive wall was erected on the northern part, and each subsequent construction followed the castle's defensive function and utility. Due to its proximity to the border (between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Republic of Venice), the castle served as the headquarters of a military garrison and occasionally as the main base for military operations against Austria. The inner walls, therefore, served to protect people and food supplies during sieges, especially since Svetvincenat was the center of a large feudal agricultural estate where a fontik, a storage place for grain supplies, was located.
The Višnjan Observatory
The Višnjan Observatory is an institution registered in 1992 as a public observatory. In scientific terms, its main area of research focuses on small bodies of the solar system and their interactions with Earth, such as asteroids, comets, and meteoroids.
Due to the increasing light pollution, the scientific activities of the Višnjan Observatory were relocated to a new location three kilometers north of Višnjan, on Mount Tičan. The construction of the Tičan Observatory began in 1998, and in 2002, the one-meter telescope named Dagor was installed. The first light for trial operations was achieved in 2014.
By the end of 2017, all necessary procedures for the operational readiness of the telescope were completed, and the Višnjan Observatory commenced its work, quickly becoming one of the most productive observatories in tracking small bodies of the solar system.
Within just under two years of operation, the Višnjan Observatory has positioned itself as the 15th most prolific observatory in the world in terms of published contributions to determining the orbits of newly discovered hazardous objects in the overall ranking. If we look at the data for the past two years since the telescope has been operational, the Višnjan Observatory ranks an impressive 3rd place.
The fishing village of Fažana is most famous for its harbor, which serves as the starting point for boat trips to the Brijuni Islands. However, Fažana itself is interesting and worth at least a few hours of your time before or after the boat ride to this nearby national park.
The Pula Amphitheatre, also known as the Pula Arena (popularly referred to as the "Divić-grad"), is the largest and best-preserved monument of ancient architecture in Croatia. Compared to over 200 Roman amphitheatres, the cloak of the Pula Amphitheatre with its four staircase towers is the most preserved and rare example of unique technical and technological solutions. In terms of size, it ranks 6th among Roman amphitheatres worldwide and is the only one in the world where all three Roman architectural orders are fully preserved. The Pula Amphitheatre is comparable to the Colosseum in Rome, the Arena in Verona, the amphitheatres in Pompeii, Nîmes, and Arles in France, and El Djem in Tunisia. It is surprising that the Arena, as an indisputable cultural treasure of Croatia,
The easternmost part of the Istrian peninsula.
Svetica, Monte Madonna, or the "Guardian of the Kvarner Bay," is a high hill that dominates the entire area of the southeastern coast of Istria and the shipping routes along the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea.
It is important to note that Monte Madonna is also a prehistoric site with a continuity of habitation since ancient times. The Middle Ages is the period when the intriguing legend, described in the following text, originated and has been passed down through generations of local inhabitants for centuries. According to the legend, a fearsome dragon used to terrorize the nearby village of Šišan and its residents, residing in a deep cave in the heart of Monte Madonna. However, with the help of the Virgin Mary, the brave father of a girl from Šišan managed to vanquish the dragon and free the village from its tyranny. The girl, like many before her, was supposed to be sacrificed to the cruel dragon.
Učka is the highest mountain of the Istrian Peninsula in western Croatia. It stretches along the Opatija Riviera.
The highest peak of Učka, called Vojak, stands at 1,396 meters (4,580 ft), and with its tower, it reaches 1,401 meters (4,596 ft). Its summit is rocky, and it features an observation tower. Built-in 1911 from stone, the tower is five meters (16 ft) tall and offers the most beautiful view in Istria. On clear days, one can see Istria, the Bay of Rijeka, the northern Adriatic with its islands, Gorski Kotar, Ćićarija, the Gulf of Trieste, the Julian Alps, and the Dolomites in Italy.